Hi, I’m Chanel Chagnard, a Licensed and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in New Orleans. I have a deep passion for health and nutrition and helping people adopt diet and lifestyle practices that nourish and heal the body. I am passionate about helping others implement dietary changes as stress-free and easily as possible. Food is meant to nurture us and bring us together, it’s meant to be enjoyed; healthy food can be delicious, savory, and satisfying. I love to show people how! My hope in doing so is that people live long, healthy, and happy lives free of disease.
I do this through counseling and educational sessions that include personalized meal plans that consider your food preferences and desires. I address an array of issues such as excess weight, sugar-cravings, food allergies or intolerances, acne, joint pain, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, heartburn, indigestion, hormone imbalance, brain fog, fatigue, etc. For most patients I typically suggest a Paleo-type diet, but nutrition is not a one-size-fits-all approach; I love helping people find a diet that works best for them. For those of you with busy schedules, I have simple recipes, tips, and solutions! I’m grateful for the opportunity to help you by doing what I love most!
My Certification / Training:
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics from Louisiana State University.
- Completion of a Dietetic Internship program through Lenoir-Rhyne University, Hickory, North Carolina.
- Registered Dietitian under the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist through the Louisiana Board of Examiners for Dietetics and Nutrition.
- ServSafe Certified through the National Restaurant Association.
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Certificate of Training in Childhood and Adolescent Weight Management through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Member of the New Orleans Dietetic Association.
- Member of the Integrative and Functional Medicine Practice group under the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
My Relevant Experience:
- While an undergrad, I worked at Well at Earthsavers, a holistic retail health establishment in Metairie, Louisiana. There I learned the importance of reducing one’s exposure to environmental toxins through ultra-clean eating, quality supplements, and non-toxic household goods and cleaning supplies. I gained insight into the power of therapeutic massage, acupuncture, and spiritual healing. I worked alongside and learned from a holistic registered dietitian who introduced me to nutrition from an Integrative and Functional Medicine perspective.
- Before I completed my internship program, I was the office manager of Nola Family Acupuncture, where I witnessed the health of Erin’s patients, including myself, drastically improve through her treatment and care. Erin helped further my understanding of Chinese and Functional Medicine. She was the catalyst of my growth in the field of nutrition from an Integrative and Functional Medicine Perspective.
- During my internship program, I gained over 2000 hours of clinical nutrition experience in various conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, kidney disease, liver disease, etc.
My Passion for Nutrition
- My mother, a Dietitian Technician, began to teach me the fundamentals of nutrition in my early childhood. As I grew, my passion for nutrition grew. By my late teens, I was confident that my calling was to further my nutrition education and help people with my knowledge.
- In my early 20’s I suffered with consistent bouts of gastro-intestinal pain, chronic bladder and yeast infections, acne, and chronic fatigue. After several sessions with multiple Western Medicine doctors, multiple rounds of antibiotics, with no improvement, I began to research alternative options. I was able to naturally treat both my bladder and yeast infections with nutrition and herbal supplementation. I became a patient of Erin’s and soon discovered I was gluten-intolerant among other things. Through Erin’s treatment and several dietary and lifestyle changes, my health began to drastically improve! Today, I’m a different person!
- Through the ups and downs of my own health journey, I have gained insight, understanding, and a greater compassion for those struggling with adverse health conditions.
- We have the power to heal our bodies naturally through food, natural supplementation, rest, play, and spiritual practice. When you feel good, you are able to do more, enjoy more, and gain greater fulfillment each day.
My Vision of the Future
- My vision of the future is that people will invest more into healthy eating and lifestyle practices. That people treat food as medicine and as nourishment for the mind, body and soul; for people to be aware that their health is in their control; for people to turn to natural remedies as their first line of defense and resist the urge to artificially suppress their symptoms.
- In doing so I believe that people will live long, healthy, and happy lives free of disease.
We look forward to meeting you!